harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Housekeeping for committers
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:49:28 GMT

On 2 August 2007 at 15:55, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> hindessm@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: hindessm
> > Date: Thu Aug  2 06:03:37 2007
> > New Revision: 562100

> > Log:
> > Fixing the commit r562098.
> >
> > Correcting the svn:eol-style property which should be set automatically
> > if the instructions for new committers have been followed.
> >
> > Adding missing licenses.
> >
> > Note, the commit message was also missing the titles of the referenced
> > JIRA.
>
> :-) You may get more notice on the dev list rather than in commit logs.

Seeing who noticed might be part of the experiment. ;-) (Of course, I
knew you would notice!)

Recently, Oliver kindly added the license clause(s) to some new files
I'd committed.  I was feeling guilty so I decided to write a script that
checked commit messages (look for /^@@ -0,0 / and then complain if you
don't see /Licensed to the Apache/ in the next five lines) so I'd catch
it myself if I did it again.

This commit was one of the first that my script spotted so I thought I
might as well fix it.

> Please would all committers ensure they are familiar with the
> guidelines here http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/NewCommitter especially
> 'Configuring your SVN client' and 'Commit messages'.
>
> Of course, if there are guidelines things missing, or you disagree,
> you get to help fix it too!

When I next feel the overwhelming desire to hack some Perl, I'll
probably add more checks, such as;

  1) svn:eol-style property checks,
  2) spotting (new) tab indentation rather than spaces,
  3) mentions of 'harmony-4298' instead of 'HARMONY-4298' or 'H-2742'
     instead of 'HARMONY-2742', and
  4) spotting missing JIRA titles - not sure how to code this reliably.

It was really just intended to catch mistakes as I make them, but
it is tempting to turn it into a filter to automatically send out
reminders to committers! ;-)

Regards,
 Mark.