harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Ivanov" <alxey.iva...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][swing][html] CSS is used to specify HTML tag behavior
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 06:37:44 GMT
Hello everyone,

There was created JIRA issue HARMONY-4662 [1], which says that
specifying the default presentation of HTML tags using CSS. I believe
this issue should be discussed here.

In short, Harmony implementation of HTML support has default.css file
which describes the default presentation of HTML elements. This
implementation is similar to that of RI. On the other hand, programmer
can remove (or disable) this style sheet. It leads to the situation
where almost all tags look like a plain text.

In my opinion, using CSS in this situation is the right thing to do.
1) We can easily make adjustments to the way HTML document looks by default.
2) It gives application developers freedom for their application.
Developer can create their own default style sheet and easily replace
the default one shipped with Harmony. Replacing is more effective than
just overriding because Harmony-provided style sheet will be excluded
from style resolution chain, which, in its turn, will free memory and
will save time.
3) I believe all modern browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera)
use the similar methods to specify the default look of HTML. The only
difference is that you cannot remove their default style sheet so
easily as in Swing.

Other opinions, comments?

Regards,
Alexey.