harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [OT] GPL v3 released
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 10:49:18 GMT
Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2007/7/2, Dalibor Topic <robilad <at> kaffe.org>:

> IIRC, classpath has a gap towards j2se 6, even j2se 5, Harmony are
> processing fast on API coverage (we even have a java 6 branch
> currently and have many package completed :) ), it may be possbile for
> classpath to use Harmony's code to avoid developing new
> classes/updates.

Yeah. I hope that could work in the other direction, as well, iff
GPLv3+classpath exception turns out to be on the 'OK' side of the copyleft
licensing line in the sand for the ASF for third party licenses.

We'll see how it goes, when it comes to that. The last thing I'd want would be
to waste everyone's time here talking about licensing.

> > The major point GPLv3 changes wrt to Harmony's class library's usability in
> > other projects is that it would now be possible in GPLv3 licensed VMs to use
> > Harmony via its ALv2-licensed VMI as a class library.
> >

> Great! So Harmony classlib will have more VMs to run on? :)

That was the plan back when we pushed for license compatibility a couple of
years ago (time flies when you're having fun :).

cheers,
dalibor topic