harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [OT] GPL v3 released
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:50:03 GMT
Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
>     Interesting, FSF released GPL v3 last Friday, which is compatible
> with APL v2[1].

Congrats to everyone from ASF & FSF who worked on making the compatibility
provisions work out in the end. That work is going back to at least Roy's
efforts on ALv2 & GPLv2 compatibility back when ALv2 was drafted, and then
carried forth by Stefano, Leo, Geir, Davanum, Cliff, Steve and many others on
ASF's side.

Thank you all for making it happen.

>     I don't know if classpath still exsists, or they can take Harmony
> code.

No worries, Classpath still exists. Many Classpath-based VMs have started
blending in the missing pieces from OpenJDK, and I guess part of the future for
Classpath will be in making that migration path work out nicely.

I haven't followed Harmony development closely in the past months, so I don't
know where the current opportunities in Classpath are to reuse code from
Harmony. I'm sure there are some, though, as it would be unlikely that both
projects have independently covered the same J2SE API subset so far.

The major point GPLv3 changes wrt to Harmony's class library's usability in
other projects is that it would now be possible in GPLv3 licensed VMs to use
Harmony via its ALv2-licensed VMI as a class library.

cheers,
dalibor topic