harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] verifier discussion
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:18:30 GMT
Mikhail,

Your verifier implemented very interesting algorithm.

* We already started moving into Java 6.0 direction, and Java 6.0
suggested a different verification scheme [1]. I see implementing this
scheme as more important task than switching between two old
verifiers.

* When a new scheme is implemented the legacy scheme won't be used
often, this means performance considerations are of less importance
compared to minimal risk considerations and ease of bug fixing. Any
switching comes at the cost of risk and increase in maintenance
efforts.

* The legacy scheme is to be completely removed from specification
soon, so the new verifier should be separate from the old code. I
found it more productive to decide which verifier code base should be
a base for new development.

What do you think?

[1] New Java SE 6 Feature: Type Checking Verifier,
https://jdk.dev.java.net/verifier.html

--
With best regards,
Alexei,