harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] GPL v3 released
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 07:42:36 GMT
2007/7/2, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org>:
> Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> >     Interesting, FSF released GPL v3 last Friday, which is compatible
> > with APL v2[1].
>
> Congrats to everyone from ASF & FSF who worked on making the compatibility
> provisions work out in the end. That work is going back to at least Roy's
> efforts on ALv2 & GPLv2 compatibility back when ALv2 was drafted, and then
> carried forth by Stefano, Leo, Geir, Davanum, Cliff, Steve and many others on
> ASF's side.
>
> Thank you all for making it happen.
>
> >     I don't know if classpath still exsists, or they can take Harmony
> > code.
>
> No worries, Classpath still exists. Many Classpath-based VMs have started
> blending in the missing pieces from OpenJDK, and I guess part of the future for
> Classpath will be in making that migration path work out nicely.

Very happy to hear that, it just proves that "open-source never die"! :)

> I haven't followed Harmony development closely in the past months, so I don't
> know where the current opportunities in Classpath are to reuse code from
> Harmony. I'm sure there are some, though, as it would be unlikely that both
> projects have independently covered the same J2SE API subset so far.

IIRC, classpath has a gap towards j2se 6, even j2se 5, Harmony are
processing fast on API coverage (we even have a java 6 branch
currently and have many package completed :) ), it may be possbile for
classpath to use Harmony's code to avoid developing new
classes/updates.

> The major point GPLv3 changes wrt to Harmony's class library's usability in
> other projects is that it would now be possible in GPLv3 licensed VMs to use
> Harmony via its ALv2-licensed VMI as a class library.

Great! So Harmony classlib will have more VMs to run on? :)

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM