harmony-dev mailing list archives

From clara <clarazh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jitrino]Are there any static type checking and type propagation?
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 07:51:32 GMT

> Clara,
>
> On 7/4/07, clara <clarazhang@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Our objective is to exploit a more accurate inter-procedural k-layer EA,
> > which
> > will guide  the JIT-assisted GC (a bit like free-me [1]) or concurrency
> > analysis.
>

> Here my question is: do you want to  compute object lifetime and add
> free()
> calls during compilation time only or  use special runtime variables to
> track if method's  argument and return values of object type are escaped
> and
> guard free() call with this variable check?

We do the former.

Our EA is dependant on SSA, and a rough inter-procedural k-layer EA has been
> > implemented ( by writing a optpass ). We need type propagation  to
> obtain
> > and
> > analyze more related method. But we could not know how this kind of type
> > propagation cost, and why jitrino implement inter-procedural analysis by
> > inlining
> > and not by cross-procedural infomation transfer.
>

> The answer is: this is the easier way to get the same information. Using
> it
> for a limited set of methods (hot methods) we do not need to invent new
> type
> of profile and we do not depend on the fact if the method we want to
> analyze
> was compiled before or not.
> You can use cross-procedural profiles if it fits your needs better. I can
> help you to integrate into EM's infrastructure and make it JIT
> independent.

The cross-procedural profiling is our next step work. At present we do
it by cross-procedural infomation transfer in JIT.

Another problem is there are many objects referenced by many container
> > objects
> > in applications. Do you have some good advices on analyzing such
> objects?
>

> Do you mean something like String and shared between different strings
> char[] objects here or references from java.util.* containers?
> Unfortunately I can't give any good advice here unless I learn details of
> your method better.
>
> Would it be OK if we start with simple examples and simple solutions and
> advance step by step?

Let's see a simple example below.
public class kit {
  static Long largest = NULL;
  static public void main(String[] arg){
    kit k = new kit();
    k.f1(999);
 }

  public void f1(int m){
    Long[] c = new Long[1000];
    for(int i=0;i<1000;i++){
      c[i] = new Long(i);
      if(i==m)
        this.largest = c[i];
    }
  }
}
Here, c is a local array and be allocated 1000 Long instances in f1().
Only one Long object escape f1 by the static field this.largest, others
don't escape f1.
But it is difficult to obtain the above accurate escape state using EA,
due to the use of array  c.
In EA of jitrino.JIT, a conservative method is used. One array has only
one escape state field, and  all the objects referred in the array have
the uniform escape state.
There are some other improved methods, such as region-based (to
divide an array into several regions, each region has a escape state
field). Or we can use profiling  on the index or a range of indexes,
but it  would be costly.
Do you have some good advices?

[1] Samuel Z. Guyer, Kathryn S. McKinley, and Daniel Frampton.