harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony M2 schedule
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:55:51 GMT

> > Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > > I've added new requirements from this thread to [1,2]
> > >
> > > I've also put names of the requirements.
> > > We may use these names in comments to JIRAs to simplify search.
> > >
> > > Please comment
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mikhail
> > >
> > > [1] http://harmony.apache.org/m2.html
> > > [2]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/standard/site/docs/m2.html?view=co
> >
> > I have a problem with the way the requirements are being stated for M2.
> >  Maybe it is just the terminology I'm uncomfortable with, that they are
> > being stated as 'requirements' and not 'goals'.
> >
> > What happens if these requirements are not met?  Do you slip the date of
>
> It's probably just the terminology. No, I'm not suggesting slipping the
> date.
>
> > M2 or drop some requirements?  I would suggest that instead we have
> > timeboxed stable development cycles, and plan what should get into each
> > stable milestone.
> >
> > I still haven't heard a good reason why these should be put into JIRA
> > titles either.  Can't we just agree that a JIRA should be in Milestone
> > 'X' or not?  Are you looking to group the JIRA issues into themes?
>
> I did not talk about the titles, I suggested some way to be able to sort
> out requirements (or goals) and see which bugs need to be fixed to meet
> some specific goal.
>
> I guess that our goals will be quite aggressive and we probably won't meet
> all
> of them. And if 3 days before milestone I see that 100 bugs left and to
> meet
> goal N I need to fix one bug and to meet goal M I need to fix 10 bugs I'll
> probably start with that only bug necessary to meet the goal N. For that
> reason I need to be able to find bugs affecting reqs (goals). I suggest
> that we use reg (goal) name in comments, so that we can easily find which
> JIRA issues impact this specific req.

Just my two-pence-worth, but this seems like adding lots of extra
administrative work to end up with something that we're not sure we're going
to need.  Did anyone actually feel they needed this fine-grained detail in
JIRA when we put out M1?  I agree that it would be useful to be able to see
what bugs were fixed for a particular milestone or target bugs to a
milestone but I personally think going into any more detail than that is
unneccesary.

I also think a week's code freeze seems quite long in proportion to a
2-month release cycle (over 10% of the cycle), although that may just be me
:)

Regards,

Sian

One more question: