harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][general]Sync casslib trunk and Java 6 branch
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 07:30:29 GMT
Hi, All

I'd like to start to look at classlib in Java 6 recently, before committing
anything, I wanted to discuss sync issue at first. There are several issues
here:

1. How to sync trunk(Java 5) and Java 6 branch

Merge from trunk to Java 6 branch is necessary, because the Java 5 work is
still in progress, so most bug fixing work makes senses for Java 6 branch.
On the other hand, from Java 6 branch to trunk is not necessary. "svn merge"
can help a lot here, some other decentralized version control system like
svk[1] may be more powerful, but I'd propose we start from basic  tool here
to see if everything is OK.

I'd propose the steps below to merge it:

cd <java 6 working copy>
svn merge -r
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/tags/latest-merge
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk@<REVISION>
<resolve conflict if there are some>
ant build
ant test
<verify everything is OK>
svn commit -m "merge from trunk@REVISION to java 6 branch"
svn copy -r REVISION
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/tags/latest-merge

One SVN tag - latest-merge - needs to be created as a snapshot of trunk
merged last time, so that committer doesn't need to record the revision
number every time.

2. How frequently should the merge be performed?

I'd like to say "as frequent as possible", but the effort is too much. Maybe
daily merge is a reasonable trade-off.

3. Should this be automatically?

Sure, although some kind of manually work is unavoidable when conflicts
happen.  But I'd like to try it for several times until we are sure it's
safe to make it automatically.
I'm volunteer to perform the daily merge before that if no one objects.

Your comments are highly appreciated.

[1] http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/HomePage, a decentralized
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control_system>version control system
written in Perl based on SVN, with a design comparable BitKeeper and Git
--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development laboratory