harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Pervov" <pmcfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [generic][launcher] help for drlvm specific properties
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:02:17 GMT
Vladimir,

'java -X' usually prints out help on options, which start with -X.

What you was asking about as I understood that has syntax of
-XX:<vm_option>[=<value>]. Sun's VM has help on these options on the Web
page and no means to print it out to console.

So, I'm -1 here for printing help on -XX options.

If community still decide to print such help - there is 4-th way to do so
(which will require changing.launcher).
1) launcher recognizes several generic options and is able to determine
application class or jar name.
2) if no -vmdir or -vmdll is specified on command line - launcher tries to
load that VM, otherwise defaults to <launcher location>/default/harmonyvm
and tryies to load this one. If it fails - it prints short help message as
it does right now, when launched with some unrecognizable property name.
3) if library is loaded successfully - launcher constructs arguments array
(as it does right now) and calls to JNI_CreateJavaVM from loaded VM library.
4) if this call returns (-?, -h, -help and -X do not return from
JNI_CreateJavaVM) and if launcher finds class of jar name on the command
line - it proceeds with program startup.

What do you think on such generic startup sequence?

WBR,
    Pavel.

--
Pavel Pervov,