harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony M2 schedule
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:30:22 GMT
> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > I've added new requirements from this thread to [1,2]
> >
> > I've also put names of the requirements.
> > We may use these names in comments to JIRAs to simplify search.
> >
> > Please comment
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail
> >
> > [1] http://harmony.apache.org/m2.html
> > [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/standard/site/docs/m2.html?view=co
>
> I have a problem with the way the requirements are being stated for M2.
>  Maybe it is just the terminology I'm uncomfortable with, that they are
> being stated as 'requirements' and not 'goals'.
>
> What happens if these requirements are not met?  Do you slip the date of

It's probably just the terminology. No, I'm not suggesting slipping the date.

> M2 or drop some requirements?  I would suggest that instead we have
> timeboxed stable development cycles, and plan what should get into each
> stable milestone.
>
> I still haven't heard a good reason why these should be put into JIRA
> titles either.  Can't we just agree that a JIRA should be in Milestone
> 'X' or not?  Are you looking to group the JIRA issues into themes?

I did not talk about the titles, I suggested some way to be able to sort
out requirements (or goals) and see which bugs need to be fixed to meet
some specific goal.

I guess that our goals will be quite aggressive and we probably won't meet all
of them. And if 3 days before milestone I see that 100 bugs left and to meet
goal N I need to fix one bug and to meet goal M I need to fix 10 bugs I'll
probably start with that only bug necessary to meet the goal N. For that
reason I need to be able to find bugs affecting reqs (goals). I suggest
that we use reg (goal) name in comments, so that we can easily find which
JIRA issues impact this specific req.

One more question:
should the reqs (goals) be on website or wiki?

Thanks,
Mikhail