harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] new snapshot for M2
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:41:05 GMT
On 6/26/07, Tim Ellison wrote:
> Stepan Mishura wrote:

> >> I think we are still investigating some potential fixes, like StrictMath
> >> and more in Beans; and there are some longer running tests still going
> >> (at least I don't remember seeing Tatyana's results).
> >>

> > How log we should be open for 'the last fix in M2'?
>
> As long as it takes to get a stable build.
>
> > May be it makes sense to start testing cycle with new milestone
> > candidate. And if we get investigation results in short time we can
> > interrupt testing, commit required fixes and start from the beginning.
>
> The fixes that have gone into the current candidate should not affect
> the ongoing testing, otherwise we would stop early and respin the build.
>
> If you have spare cycles to do more testing then maybe you could test
> the current candidate some more. I think that would of greater value
> than overlapping the same tests on a new candidate that will be
> essentially the same.

I don't see any issue with overlapping tests results.

There is no guarantee that we'll have correct quick fix for
StrictMath/Beans by next morning. But by next morning we'll have the
same test results matrix (that includes 'short' test suites) for new
snapshot(with last fixes) like we have now for r550333. So we can say
for sure that a new snapshot is slightly better then previous one. And
if latter we find that fixes for StrictMath/Beans are not good we may
declare the new shapshot as M2.

IMO, we can apply the same rule for testing during code freeze as do
for commiting: "do it early and often".

Thanks,
Stepan.