harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Beliaev" <vladimir.k.beli...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][init] -XX:vm.dlls is proposed to be -XX:gc.dll
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:27:13 GMT
 *I'd like to rename -XX:vm.dlls to -XX:gc.dll, because:*
(I'm reposting my question in the e-mail with right subject...)

right now the http://harmony.apache.org/cmd_options.html says about this
property:

  *-XX:vm.dlls=<list> * A PATH_SEPARATOR-delimited list of modular dynamic
libraries (GC/etc.) to load at startup.

In fact its default value is "gc_gen.<dll>'. If one sets it to any valid
'foo.<dll>' (like -XX:vm.dlls="foo.dll") then the "gc*.dll" is not found,
"gc_init" function pointer is not set & DRLVM crashes with 0x00000 address
access (HARMONY-3934)... Also there can be only 1 GC.dll in DRLVM now, so it
should be "gc.dll" but not a not a "gc.dlls"...

So in fact this 'vm.dlls' property semantics is: "set GC dll here". *That's
why I propose to rename it.*

*Please pay attention that:*

1. it would affect the "running scripts" (like Cruise Control ones) - please
speak up if you have a procedure proposal for this renaming (or we just may
agree on commit time).

2. one may use this -XX:vm.dlls to set own DLL (other then GC one) - please
speak up if it is true & provide the particular example.

*Please note that we also have:*

-XX:em.dll=<dll-path> to set Execution Manager dynamic library
-XX:vm.other_natives_dlls=<dll-path-list> - I know the use case: set the
classlib native libraries to be preloaded during VM startup (I need to
double check if it is still used)...

Thanks
--
Vladimir Beliaev