harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Beliaev" <vladimir.k.beli...@gmail.com>
Subject [generic][launcher] help for drlvm specific properties
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:31:25 GMT
Hello, All

I want to add a *help *for drlvm specific system properties like '-
Xvm.assert_dialog=false' (as asked in
HARMONY-3409<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3409>
).

*Could you send your opinion on what way this can be done?* There are three
safe ways to do this & non of them seems to be really good (please see
technical details in
HARMONY-3409<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3409>).

*way 1*: support 'java -Xhelp:prop foo' command line... Like if one runs
'java -X' then this help says "run '-Xhelp:prop foo' to see sytem
properties"... In short: if one does not specify this 'foo' at the end, then
a generic launcher consider command line as broken (no 'mainClass' is
specified) & does not invoke JNI_CreateJavaVM (which print a help)...

*way 2*: support 'java -Xhelp:prop' command line (i.e. w/o dummy 'foo')...
To implement this the *generic* launcher is to be changed to recognize
'-Xhelp:' as a 'help' option (like it recognizes ? -h -help -X now). Because
of other VMs do not support such a '-Xhelp:' option we get
*generic*launcher to be a bit drlvm-specific...

*way 3*: be like other VMs and do not print a 'help for drlvm internal
properties'. Instead, 'java -X' help output may provide a URL to
harmony.apache.org html document explaining drlvm internal system
properties...

I would pick a *way 1* as it does not change *generic *launcher & we are
free to do every thing we want with -X... I do not like *way 3* at all - it
is not a big deal to create such a document, still it is one more document
to be supported (I believe it may become out-of-date pretty in couple
months)...

So, what do you think?

--
Thanks