harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build][doc]wrong directory structure in snapshots
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:13:21 GMT
> Will we pack release notes to the bundle or put it to the downloads page
on the
> web site?
>
> If we put it to the bundle we will have to make some integrity testing
> after that
>
> For the what's new section I suggest
> - Overall stability was improved, e.g. majority of the known crash
> bugs were fixed
> - GCv5 is now default GC (XiaoFeng might provide wording)
> - ByteCode verifier is now functionally complete
> - StackOverflow handling in VM is implemented
> - Threading subsystem was partially redesigned to improve its stability
> - Memory consumption was significantly improved (VM/JIT parts
> redesign, memory leaks were fixed in threading)
> - JIT optimizations implemented/improved: Array Bound Check
> Elimination, Profile-guided devirtualization of abstract and virtual
> calls, Graph-coloring register allocator for Jitrino.OPT
> - API completeness came to 99.06% (without endorsed specs), incomplete
> API is in swing mostly

Mikhail gave almost complete list about JIT, I'd like just to add more
details here:

*New Features:

*-  Value profile guided devirtualization of abstract and virtual calls has
been implemented for Jitrino.OPT optimizing compiler. Devirtualization of
abstract calls was enabled by default is server optimization mode.

-  Graph-coloring register allocator has been implemented for
Jitrino.OPToptimizing compiler.

-  DRLVM is now able to run on non-SSE2 platforms (Nathan to confirm).

*Resolved Issues
*
- Stack Overflow handling in VM has been significantly improved
(HARMONY-1859, HARMONY-4118).

-  Array Bounds Check Elimination optimization has been reworked which
resolved known JIRA issues reporting incorrect bound checks (HARMONY-1564,
HARMONY-1788, HARMONY-2141, HARMONY-2144, HARMONY-2147).

-  Memory consumption was significantly improved (VM/JIT parts redesign,
memory leaks were fixed in threading).

Thanks,
Pavel