harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jitrino] synchronization optimization
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:19:03 GMT
Estelle,

I doubt you'll find someone here who knows for sure what it does. :)
As you can see 'syncopt' is not used in any of current emconf configs.
It does not give any benefit on IA32/EM64T, though it still in the
code base to check it on IPF.

There is a syncopt2 optimization whose goal is to remove nested
synchronization on the same monitor but it's still incomplete. I plan
to get back to synchronization optimizations some time and implement
removal of nested and repetitive synchronizations - something similar
to what is described in [1]. I even implemented a part of this some
time ago but then distracted to more urgent JIT tasks.

What is your interest in synchronization optimizations? If you would
like to work on improving syncopt I can put my code in JIRA.

Thanks,
Pavel

[1] "Automatically Reducing Repetitive Synchronization with a
Just-in-Time Compiler for Java", Mark Stoodley, Vijay Sundaresan