harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony M2 schedule
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:04:52 GMT
> Pavel Ozhdikhin wrote:
> > A "Developer" field will be helpful as well. A developer who did
> > initial evaluation and set a milestone for the issue may put his/her
> > name there and an estimate when he/she may start working on this
> > issue. Thus the submitter gets a clue when the issue will be resolved
> > and may adjust the priority accordingly or discuss the issue with the
> > developer.
>
> What's wrong with simply adding a comment to the JIRA?  e.g. I'm working
> on this and plan to get it into Milestone X.

For example, there are issues I'd like to look into but I'm currently
busy on another thing. I'd like to organize a sort of prioritized list
of bugs I can work on in JIRA. It's not convenient to search by plain
comments - I'll need to invent a fixed comment to search by it in
future. Sometime I use a watcher field for this, but there are other
issues I'd like to watch.

> > As a developer I often need to discuss the issue with
> > another developer who has an expertise in this area and the
> > "developer" field will help me to identify the proper person. Another
> > developer may pick the issue, put his name into "developer" field and
> > fix it earlier.
>
> I think there is great value in having that conversation here on the
> list rather that privately with the developer.  That way we all learn,
> and you never know, maybe even contribute to the solution<g>

I agree that the list works well in many cases. It does not work if a
developer reads dev-list irregularly or the issue needs claridication
and better to be discussed in a chat room.

Thanks,
Pavel