harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] source materials (was: Re: [general][M2] Code frozen)
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:26:46 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 25 June 2007 at 13:59, "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/24/07, Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We have passed our code freeze date for M2
>>>
>> Mikhail,
>>
>> Just to be clear - M1 milestone published snapshots include build for
>> Windows x86, Linux (libstdc++ v5 and libstdc++ v6) x86 and Windows
>> x86_64.
>
> Do you think it would be possible to produce source snapshots?  The
> Apache release FAQ (at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html ) says:
>
>   The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All
>   releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make
>   changes to the software being released.

(tongue in cheek) Yeah, we declare a SVN revision number checkout as our
source code delivery.

>   In some cases, binary/bytecode
>   packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might
>   not have the appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the
>   source. In all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have
>   the same version number as the source release and may only add
>   binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling that version of
>   the source code release.
>
> Currently binaries are our primary artifact.  I appreciated that it may
> be a little late to try to correct this for this release, but I think it
> is important that we try to correct this before we get too comfortable
> with the current release process.

Agreed, it would be good to have a source code download that corresponds
to each snapshot/milestone.

> It should now be possible to do:
>
>   ant bundle_src
>   mkdir /tmp/build
>   tar -C /tmp/build -xzf target/apache-harmony-src-r550411-snapshot.tar.gz
>   cd /tmp/build/harmony-src-550411
>   ant -Dauto.fetch=true
>
> which would seem to me to be more in-keeping with the Apache release
> guidelines.

I don't think we are unique in our current practice, but "yes" we should.

> On this subject, I'd like to permission to commit a patch to correct the
> top-level directory name in the source tar.gz/zip files from:
>
>   harmony-src-550411
>
> to:
>
>   apache-harmony-src-r550411
>
> The format of the archive names changed over time and these have become
> inconsistent.

No objection from me, but I don't depend upon that name so you may
choose to wait until you hear from people who are more focused on the
build-test infra to see if they would be disrupted by it.

Regards,
Tim