harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony M2 schedule
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:11:55 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>> > I've added new requirements from this thread to [1,2]
>> >
>> > I've also put names of the requirements.
>> > We may use these names in comments to JIRAs to simplify search.
>> >
>> > Please comment
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Mikhail
>> >
>> > [1] http://harmony.apache.org/m2.html
>> > [2]
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/standard/site/docs/m2.html?view=co
>>
>> I have a problem with the way the requirements are being stated for M2.
>>  Maybe it is just the terminology I'm uncomfortable with, that they are
>> being stated as 'requirements' and not 'goals'.
>>
>> What happens if these requirements are not met?  Do you slip the date of
>
> It's probably just the terminology. No, I'm not suggesting slipping the
> date.

Ok, then I'm fine with the idea, and apologies for the misunderstanding.
  To my ear, a 'requirement' is mandatory/necessary, whereas a 'goal' is
an aim/direction.

Having goals and themes that we work towards for the milestones is quite
reasonable.  People will work on whatever their 'itch' dictates, but it
is fine to allow people to declare what they are working towards.  Just
to be clear, we would not stop people working on a problem because it
does not fit in with a written goal.

>> M2 or drop some requirements?  I would suggest that instead we have
>> timeboxed stable development cycles, and plan what should get into each
>> stable milestone.
>>
>> I still haven't heard a good reason why these should be put into JIRA
>> titles either.  Can't we just agree that a JIRA should be in Milestone
>> 'X' or not?  Are you looking to group the JIRA issues into themes?
>
> I did not talk about the titles, I suggested some way to be able to sort
> out requirements (or goals) and see which bugs need to be fixed to meet
> some specific goal.
>
> I guess that our goals will be quite aggressive and we probably won't
>  meet all of them. And if 3 days before milestone I see that 100 bugs
> left and to meet goal N I need to fix one bug and to meet goal M I
> need to fix 10 bugs I'll probably start with that only bug necessary
> to meet the goal N. For that reason I need to be able to find bugs
> affecting reqs (goals). I suggest that we use reg (goal) name in
> comments, so that we can easily find which JIRA issues impact this
> specific req.

We welcome JIRAs from any Harmony user, so creating a new issue or
reading an existing issue should not become burdened with undue process.
 A comment that an issue, for example, "blocks running a simple Tomcat
scenario" makes sense to everyone, but a comment saying "M2_APP4" is
just lingo.

I wonder what is the best way of marking a JIRA issue so we can 'query
by goal' without having to embed unreadable tags?

Maybe open a JIRA for the 'run a simple Tomcat scenario' and make it
dependent upon JIRAs that block that success.  Just thinking aloud...any
other ideas?

> One more question:
> should the reqs (goals) be on website or wiki?

I'd expect them to be on the wiki, but whatever.

Regards,
Tim