harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib] Support for sun.misc.Service ?
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:01:53 GMT

I've filed jira HARMONY-4280 for this issue, and attached a simple
patch.

Does anybody have any opinions on how should we resolve it?

 Vasily

-----Original Message-----
From: Zakharov, Vasily M [mailto:vasily.m.zakharov@intel.com]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 3:41 PM
To: dev@harmony.apache.org
Subject: [classlib] Support for sun.misc.Service ?

Hi, all,

While trying to run NetBeans with NetBeans Profiler on Harmony I've
found out that it produces a lot of errors, most of which are caused by
sun.misc.Service class is absent. The general idea for this class can be
obtained from [1] - look for Service.providers call. I'm not sure if
Harmony has an equivalent for that class, but it probably should -
people on the net (Google) say that the class is rather widely used and
that it should become a part of public API in future, and it probably
would [2]. Moreover, it seems to be already replaced with
java.util.ServiceLoader [3] in Java 6. So, we have the following
questions to answer:

1. Does Harmony have a functional equivalent for sun.misc.Service class?

2. If it doesn't, than should we provide that equivalent?

3. Shouldn't we add a wrapper for that functionality ot at least a dummy
stub for sun.misc.Service to Suncompat module to avoid problems with
applications that address it?

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html
[2] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4640520
[3] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/ServiceLoader.html