harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Zakharov, Vasily M" <vasily.m.zakha...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib] serialVersionUID justification
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:21:26 GMT
Dmitry,

As far as I know, Swing is not supposed to be serialization-compatible
not only between implementations, but even between different versions
of the same implementation.

You may see that, though Swing classes are Serializable, they do not
have
"Serialized form" link in the API specification, and are not listed at
the
"Serialized form" page.

In this situation having different serialVersionUID in Harmony than in
RI
looks like a feature, not a bug - it makes sure that no deserialization
would be attempted in situation where compatibility is not supposed.

Also, Swing classes do not have serialVersionUID value specified in the
API specification, so we do not violate the spec by having a different
value than RI in our Swing implementation.

Note: this justification is Swing-specific and is only applicable to
Swing.

Vasily Zakharov
Intel ESSD