harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony M2 schedule
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:35:44 GMT
On the 0x2ED day of Apache Harmony Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Hi Egor,
>
> the point is the following: we put only those requirements for which
> there are volunteers. If for example Oleg's favorite debugger works on
> Windows he don't commit to any requirements on other platfroms.

That is not only a personal issue for volunteers to decide by
theselves, but also a strategic and political question. It remindss
me of some words of Geir that I support at 100%

Geir> Linux is a peer distro for this project.  It always has been.
Geir>
Geir> To be an open source project that only distributes software for closed
Geir> source ecosystems like Windows is the sort of irony I'd prefer not to
Geir> be associated with :)

That's the first point.

Secondly, I can be responsible for reaching almost the same goals on
Linux (because I believe in modularity and that most of the issues are
OS-independant), BUT .. I need somebody to assist with running tests
and supporting the same kind of statistics on Linux/x86 and
Linux/x86_64 with regular updates. And creating corresponding JIRA-s
would be just great.

If there is no such volunteer, shame on you all :)

And.. I would set aside current performance issues on Linux for M2
knowing the current situation with slow thread local storage access
and probably other things.

As far as I understand, Oleg would *not* be very much burdened to run
exactly same tests on Linux as he does on Windows and collect
statictics and simplest evaluation. That does not require a debugger.

Oleg? What are your views on that? Is it difficult to run all the same
testsuites on Linux and support statistics? Are there
platform-specific things? In worst case we can exclude some unpleasant
tests from Linux runs.

> If you like to be responsible for meeting pass rates on some specific
> platform I think nobody will object to put this into requirements.
> So, do you?

I cannot run all the tests regularly. Lack of machines. Need
help. Possible?

--
Egor Pasko