harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][kernel]j.l.Compiler functionality is not implemeted - bug in Harmony?
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 11:51:37 GMT
Hi Alexey,

I believe the current implementation for "java.compiler" follows
specification for j.l.System.getProperties() which mandates this
property. And there is a bug against documentation [1], which in
particular says:
"As far as I know, the "java.compiler" property was only
meaningful in our earlier JDK releases (pre-1.4) which
included the Classic VM (now EOL'd); it could be used to
specify a JIT compiler that works with the Classic VM.
However, when we switched to the HotSpot VM, this property
was being maintained just for compatibility reasons; the
HotSpot VM simply ignores it."

Your assert about java.lang.Compiler seems valid, feel free to file a
JIRA. Yet, there is a suggestion to deprecate it [2], and probably it
should  fall into "non-bug difference" category.
So until we have real-life necessity for the java.lang.Compiler API, I
don't think it will be fixed.

[1] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5043991
[2] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4285505

--