harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][gc_gen] gc_gen is 2x slower in tests...
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 09:46:21 GMT
I checked my perceived changes in pre-commit testing time after
Harmony switched to gcv5, comparing with old gc_cc on the following
test:

> sh build.sh -DBUILD_CFG=<cfg>  -Dtest.mode=jet test -Dtest.vmargs="-XX:vm.dlls=<gc>"
Some smoke tests (outofmemory.*, perf.SeveralThreads, etc)
intermittently fail/hang on gc_gen, so I've run each configuration 2-3
times. All machines are multicore (>= 2 CPUs) server boxes.
Ant-reported build time records are listed below:

avg time in sec, gc_cc / gc_gen
Win32 release:    340 / 520
Win32 debug:      620 / 1400
Linux32 release:  300 /  1200
Linux32 debug:    440 / 1000
Linux64 debug:    550 / 1300

Indeed the time for testing is increased at least twice with gc_gen!

Taking into account that gc_gen demonstrated very decent scores on
enterprise benchmarks, how to interpret these results? Heavy
initialization or client-unfriendly default settings of GC or smth
else?

--
Alexey