harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ECJ and Harmony
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 10:56:20 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> 2007/5/23, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org>:
>> Olivier Thomann wrote:
>> classlib
>> > I could search for "sun.boot.class.path" first and if not present, use
>> > "vm.boot.class.path".
>>
>> Just small correction, if sun.boot.class.path is not found, search for
>> org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path. It is the only property that IBM VME
>> provides, and it has correct value for it. On DRLVM sun.boot.class.path
>> and vm.boot.class.path are equal and contain kernel.jar, while
>> org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path doesn't contain it (this should not
>> be a problem if you search for sun.boot.class.path first).
>
> Let's get rid of that duplicate "vm.boot.class.path" -
> org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path + sun.boot.class.path is more than
> enough.
> And to avoid confusion in future, re-initialize the first with the
> full bootclasspath in DRLVM as well.

Property vm.boot.class.path is used in kernel classes of VM and I think
it is better to have a property with name independent from sun. It was
actually added by me long time ago when there was no JDWP agent in
Harmony and I tried to use JDWP agent library from BEA to debug JVMTI
implementation. That agent library didn't work without
sun.boot.class.path. It good to define this property for compatibility,
but not actually use it I think.

If we correctly set org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path to include kernel
JAR files from VM we can get rid of vm.boot.class.path and use
org.apache.harmony.boot.class.path in kernel classes implementation.

--
Gregory