harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Pervov" <pmcfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti] RedefineClasses.
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 04:48:29 GMT
Egor,

thank you for your prompt answer, but it looks like I wasn't clear enough
describing my concerns.
AFAIU, your answer is related to the second approach with constant pools.
If I'm right, then there still exists the problem of merged constant pool
being too long, and indexes in it exceeding 16-bit limit. This will require
to provide per-instruction interface (as opposed to bytecode array access
interface) to bytecode consumers. This, in turn, will require rewriting main
loops of verifier and interpreter, and bytecode preprocessing in both JITs.
This is what I'm afraid of first of all.

The rest should be implemented exactly in the way you've described. The only
generalization here is that "GC STW" is not required, we can just suspend
all threads right in RedefineClasses implementation.

Regards,
    Pavel.

P.S. Specification says though that "Threads need not be suspended". But I
currently have no idea on how to achieve class and method replacement
atomically without suspending other threads.

--
Pavel Pervov,