harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem under windows
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 09:03:57 GMT
On 5/24/07, Elford, Chris L <chris.l.elford@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I tracked down a system that has SSE but not SSE2 (a dual processor P3
> system).  For me, adding "-xe ii" to the ntsd command line let the
> debugger break in at the first chance exception.  It reports that what I
> believe is an SSE2 instruction does indeed happen during jitrino.dll
> startup.
>
> 01365fb0 f20f100520553901 movsd xmm0,qword ptr
> [jitrino!JIT_gc_start+0xd5810 (01395520)]
>
> Without jitrino symbol information (e.g., a pdb file for jitrino.dll),
> its hard to tell what function is being executed (it is unlikely that it
> is JIT_gc_start.  It would be nice if the snapshot builds included
> symbol files to help make for more meaningful stack traces.
>
> It may be good to discuss [again?] on the lists whether more people can
> come into the project to help create legacy modes that earlier
> instruction sets (and earlier Oses) can still execute without crippling
> current instruction set processors (and/or OSes).
>
> I don't see an open JIRA about this one.  The closest I see is
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3246 which is more about
> code that the JIT creates rather than the JIT itself.
>
> Ntsd log below showing more detail around faulting instruction.
> Mikhail?

You're right that we fixed Jitrino.OPT to generate SSE independent code (use
x87) if SSE2 is not available.
Another JIRA (not commited yet):
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3737 makes JET to compile all
methods without FPU insts (>90% of methods) and pass other methods to OPT
I checked dumpbin /disasm for jitrino.dll and see a lot of SSE/SSE2 insts in
code.

It's possible that our compiler options for jitrino.dll are too aggressive.
I will check it and report.

--
Mikhail Fursov