harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti] RedefineClasses.
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 08:06:29 GMT
On 5/2/07, George Timoshenko <george.timoshenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Pavel, Egor, community.
>
> I understand what Egor has wrote.
> But the idea of constant pool usage in a method is not clear for me.
>
> Managed code does not work with constant pool at runtime, right?
> All cp indexes were processed when the method was compiled.

This is not true in Lazy Resolution mode. All lazy resolution helpers have
at least 2 arg: enclosing class handle + cp-index.

If we are talking about objects (and their fields) creating the merged
> pool of fields should not be affected by indexes and their 16-bit limit.
> The patching is needed here (Egor wrote about it) to substitute old
> links with new "redefined" fields/methods addresses.
>

> Pavel, could you please clarify how the merged constant pool is supposed
> to be used.
>

> George.

Pavel, I need some clarification too.
Do you want support to redefine methods that are never exit ?
Example:
while(true) {
       doSomething()
}