harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Popov" <ivan.g.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][tools] Removing tools module
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 13:23:58 GMT
Tim,

I see you have modified jdktools build a lot. Now it uses classlibs's
make scripts to build native code, rather then jdktools's ones. Good
consequence is that jdktools build now supports freebsd and apple
platforms. But jdktools build now depends on the build settings in
classlib's build. I think it's OK in general, but this exposed a few
problems.

After the latest changes, there is a problem with using JPDA binaries
built with old gcc 3.3.3 on linux/x86 (SLES9), which are not
reproduced for GCC 4.0. JPDA is written in C++ and using C++
exceptions leads to VM crash. Adding -fpic solves this problem for GCC
3.3.3.

I'm not sure if any classlib modules are written in C++. But using
-fpic on linux/x86 is safe and can be added to classlib's make scripts
to resolve problems with jdktools modules.

The other minor problem is that classlib's make scripts don't define
NDEBUG macro for release mode, so all debug/trace code is included
into release build. This also should be fixed.

If nobody objects to such modification of classlib's builds, I'll
submit JIRA and provide patch.

Thanks.
Ivan