harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] Establishing build, test and release process
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 15:40:03 GMT
Hi all,

The process is aimed to start publishing regularly builds that are
stable and well tested.
Currently we build and publish Harmony snapshots quite regularly. And
I think it is a time to organize the same for developer's builds.

I think that everybody agree that the main criteria for promoting a
build as developer's build its testing status. There are two kinds of
testing: automated and manual. I think we can easily organize
automated testing for snapshots that is based on the build-and-test
infra.

I've updated the infra a bit to add a CC project that downloads and
unpacks a snapshot. Once the snapshot is downloaded CC triggers all
testing scenarios to be run against the downloaded snapshot. I've
setup CC on Linux_x86 a Windows_x86 for the following tests:
classlib-test, dacapo, scimark, jetty scenario and tomcat scenario.
And run them on snapshot r540000. The testing result are available
here[1].

So I'd like to propose the following process: we setup CC infra on
different platforms for testing published snapshots. For each snapshot
there should be a page on the site which contains all testing results
(I think it is enough to keep results for 4-5 latest snapshots). Also
the page may contain a link to a separate wiki page. The wiki page
should contain testing results that were run manually by everybody.
This should give a picture about a selected snapshot:
stable/unstable/broken/has minor issues and so on . If we find that a
snapshot is good enough we may promote it as developer's build.

Thoughts?

[1] http://people.apache.org/~smishura/r540000/index.html

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura