harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Markov" <mikhail.a.mar...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][nio_char] Mapping chars >= 256 in ISO-8859-1 encoding
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 07:58:10 GMT
Hi!

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3307 shows that unicode
characters are printed differently on RI and Harmony.
I've added there the test demonstrating the difference.

When encoding unicode chars > '\u00ff' using ISO-8859-1 charset, RI produces
'3f' character (Question Mark) while Harmony (via ICU lib) produces '1A'
character (Substitute) per ISO-8859-1 mapping table (see
http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-1.TXT).
Unfortunately, this table does not define the mappings of characters >
'\u00ff'. Also I could not find the info about this.

Are there any requirements for mapping such chars? Should we follow RI here?

Thanks,
Mikhail