harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Markov" <mikhail.a.mar...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] H-3148 (OOM when using native memory which is out of GC-control) again
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 16:22:34 GMT
Hi, all!

I'd like to raise the problem with freeing native memory which is out of GC
control again :-) (and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3148 as
one of it's demonstration).
(See the previous round at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.harmony.devel/25768).

Several people have added comments to the JIRA, but we need a general
decision on the following question:

Do we accept the way which was introduced by Leo's patch in H-3148 (i.e.
check if there are enough native memory available before allocating new one,
and call System.gc() (or System.runFinalization()) if necessary)?

I'm +1 for this method.
(Mark mentioned that he'd refactored the patch if he had time:-) - i'm ready
to do this if he has no time.)

Thanks,
Mikhail