harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] H-3148 (OOM when using native memory which is out of GC-control) again
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 16:17:51 GMT
On 5/15/07, Mikhail Markov <mikhail.a.markov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> I'd like to raise the problem with freeing native memory which is out of
> GC
> control again :-) (and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-3148as
> one of it's demonstration).
> (See the previous round at
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.harmony.devel/25768).
>
> Several people have added comments to the JIRA, but we need a general
> decision on the following question:
>
> Do we accept the way which was introduced by Leo's patch in H-3148 (i.e.
> check if there are enough native memory available before allocating new
> one,
> and call System.gc() (or System.runFinalization()) if necessary)?
>
> I'm +1 for this method.

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I understand the problem correctly, but is it possible
that vm onlys invokes gc when it fails to allocate, instead of checking
native memory every time before allocation which would may cause performance
downgrade?

(Mark mentioned that he'd refactored the patch if he had time:-) - i'm ready

--
Best regards,
Andrew Zhang

http://zhanghuangzhu.blogspot.com/