harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse packaged with Harmony at SourceForge
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 19:26:05 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A version of Eclipse packaged with Harmony (possibly the milestone)
> has turned up at http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipse-harmony/
> listed as "Production/Stable" and using the description "A harmonic
> combination of Eclipse and Apache Harmony JRE."
>
> There doesn't seem to be any hint that either Harmony has not passed
> the TCK at this stage, and nor that it's still a work-in-progress. I
> feel that this may give Harmony a bad name since there are known
> things that don't work (for example, there was a recent known issue
> with the debugger not working with Eclipse, and I don't know if that
> has been resolved, or if it has, whether it's in the build that was
> used there).
>
> At the very least, I'm not happy with either the implicit assertion of
> stability/testing, or the association with JDK/JRE when we know we've
> not passed the TCK yet.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Alex.

I think you are being a bit harsh Alex.

I was aware of this 'packaging' project by Philippe, Gunnar, and Wayne
(who are all well respected members within the open source community),
which now accurately describes itself as :

   "In Harmony With Eclipse is a demonstration of two great open
    source projects working together. The package contains the
    latest stable release version of Eclipse (3.2.2) running on
    a pre-release version of Apache Harmony (5.0M1). It must be
    noted that this release is not intended as production-quality
    software, but is instead a glimpse of the future. While the
    combination of Eclipse and Harmony does work well, there are
    limitations. These limitations are being addressed as Eclipse
    and Harmony development continues. Your feedback to the Eclipse
    and Harmony Teams is welcomed."

Of course, Harmony does not claim to be a certified Java implementation.
 Our desire to pass the JCK and get certification is well documented;
but in the meantime I think it is encouraging that people find value in
what we have produced so far.  Having more users and incoming JIRAs for
our work in progress won't give Harmony a bad name unless we fail to
respond by producing the best compatible implementation out there.

Regards,
Tim