harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [tools][launcher] Where should the launcher code reside?
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 11:57:33 GMT
Up until yesterday we had two copies of the launcher code, one in
classlib LUNI module, and one in jdktools.  Hopefully we all agree that
we don't need two copies of the code.

Yesterday I removed the launcher from classlib, and updated the one in
jdktools; but that seems to break a number of people who rely on
building classlib and dropping in a built VM to run a JRE.

Arguably, the 'right' way to work is either to build an HDK from scratch
(i.e. a full federated build), or download a pre-built HDK then
build&test the classlib|vm|jdktools against that.  Then you will always
have a full installation, and can update the bits you are working on.

But if people want to keep working with just the classlib and VM then I
have no objection to leaving the launcher in the classlib area.  It
doesn't do anyone any harm in there.  The layout should suit our working
patterns, not the other way around.

What do you think?

Tim