harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][tools] Removing tools module
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 08:34:03 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Ivan Popov wrote:
>> > I used 'svn update' in command prompt without any additional options
>> > and it removed tools directory from classlib component, so I have no
>> > problems with building/cleaning classlib.
>>
>> I did remove it from svn [1], so you just need to check that you update
>> 'high' enough.
>>
>> The fix-up in the jdktools directory is quite a bit more work :-( .  I'm
>> going to commit some work in progress before I thoroughly test it on
>> Linux -- apologies in advance for any breakages.  I'll fix them shortly.
>>

> Tim,
>
> When do you plan to finish fixing and testing your changes?
> I'm afraid we have to wait with committing patches because currently
> CC is down. Otherwise it will be hard to find a guilty commit.

I've run a build locally and things are working ok for me. So let's try
and work out the problem.

The issue seems to be that the launcher used to come from classlib (and
jdktools), but now it comes (only) from the jdktools.

If you build everything in the federated build you will get the class
library, jdktools, and vm which you then combine to get a full HDK.  You
can build any one of those things against an existing HDK and life is
still good.

If you only build the classlib, you won't get a VM or launcher (or
javac, javah, ...).  If you only build the VM, you won't get ... etc.

It used to be true that if you build classlib and the VM and copy them
together you would get enough for a JRE, but that is no longer true
since the launcher moved.

Does that help?  Should we be arranging the code differently?

Regards,
Tim