harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject [build][jitrino] java on top of .net
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 09:54:47 GMT
Hi all,

Currently we have an issue with DRLVM on 64-bit Windows. The problem
is that our release builds (i.e. even *release* builds!) don't work if
MS Visual Studio is not installed on the machine, DRLVM  rejects to
load its JIT dll (jitrino.dll). HARMONY-3526 was filed about this a
while ago.

I've spent some time trying to understand what can be the reason of
this. And I've finally found that 64bit release version of jitrino.dll
depends on MSCOREE.DLL what doesn't  seem to be present on "clean"
Windows Server 2003. Now, look at this DLL. MSCOREE stands for
MicroSoft Component Object Runtime Execution Engine - it is one of the
core DLLs of .NET framework and AFAIU responsible for running MSIL (MS
bytecode AKA Microsoft Intermediate Language ) stuff.

So... A question to our JIT experts. What kind of JIT do we have? Why
does it need MS .NET framework runtime to compile Java bytecode to
platform native code? :-) Please note: the name of this DLL is
specified directly in JIT build scripts for Win64.

Seriously speaking, this seem to be a real issue since now user has to
download and install MS .NET framework (~40 mb for Win64) to be able
to run Harmony builds. I believe there is some bug in builds scripts -
linker args? - and I am going to fix it. But I'd also like to hear
from people who are experienced in our JIT.

BTW, everything is fine on Win32, no deps on MSCOREE.

Thanks,
--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel ESSD