harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Kuksenko" <sergey.kukse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance][benchmark] A tool for writing performance test
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 12:15:15 GMT
Hi Andrew,

I have a couple questions about punit.

The first - How do punit calculates amount of used memory?
Is it simple difference (totalMemory-freeMemory)?
Does it take into acoount the amount of used memory before running a bench?
Also, for example, on you examples for ArrayList amount of used memory is
around of 3M.
But for such amount of used memory, obtained values are more related to how
GC works, not the real behavior of ArrayList. What do you think?

And the second question  -does p-unit have tools/frameworks/api/etc for
creating a multythreaded tests?
Not for purposes to test threading, but for purposes to get higher
processors utilization on multycore multyprocessor machines.

> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a little tool for performance test called punit[1]. It's a
> framework
> for performance test.
>
> I used punit to run a performance test ArrayList/Vector#add against
> Harmony
> and RI. The result report is very straightforward.
> From the report, you can easliy see that Harmony performs faster in
> ArrayList#add, but consumes much more memory.
> More details, please refer to
>
> http://zhanghuangzhu.blogspot.com/2007/05/use-punit-to-write-performance-test.html
> .
>
> I think if we're interested in the performance test, punit may help us in
> some degree.
> btw, punit supports to run test suite concurrently too. Hopefully, you
> like
> it!
>
> [1] punit:  http://p-unit.sourceforge.net/
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrew Zhang
>
> http://zhanghuangzhu.blogspot.com/

--
Best regards,
---
Sergey Kuksenko.
Intel Enterprise Solutions Software Division.