harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Supporting more platforms
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 20:15:20 GMT
On Friday 18 May 2007 23:03 Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 18 May 2007 at 9:58, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On the 0x2DA day of Apache Harmony Mark Hindess wrote:
> > > I'm looking at what would need to be changed in drlvm to support more
> > > platforms.  (Specifically, I'm looking at macosx/ppc32 and I'll
> > > probably look at freebsd/x86 and maybe freebsd/x86_64.)  I thought I'd
> > > mention some of the issues I've found so far regarding changes I plan
> > > to make just to see if I'm taking a reasonable approach.
> >
> > my 2c:
> > may be I am telling very obvious things, but...
> >
> > ppc32 is a lot of work for JIT. Unless we have dedicated people in
> > Jitrino Code Generator for ppc32 a good JIT does not promise to happen
> > soon. Although, the interpreter can be ported much faster.
>
> This is a spare time effort on my part so I'm not sure I'll even get
> the interpreter ported!  I don't really have any expectations; I'm just
> curious how far I can get.  My motivation was really to make it a less
> daunting task for others thinking about new platforms.  These days intel
> macs are probably more popular anyway but I don't have one - I only got
> an old ppc mac on a whim a few weeks ago - and I thought adding a new
> architecture would force me to get the necessary build structure in
> place.

In my experience porting interpreter usually is equal to porting functions for
calling native methods. This requires implementing
interpreter_execute_native_method, interpreterInvokeStaticNative and
interpreterInvokeVirtualNative functions in interpreter like it is done for
ia32, em64t and ipf architectures. These functions are written in C and
prepare arguments for the method in an array (in different ways depending on
the architecture, e.g. x86_64 and IPF require distinguishing integer and
floating point arguments because they are passed in different registers) and
assembly code prepares them in the platform native C calling convention. The
rest of the interpreter should be platform independent.

Other than that there is a unix platform dependent code in signals handling.
For the most part the code is needed for hardware exceptions, JVMTI in JIT
mode and graceful crash handling, so I think it may be left unimplemented for
the start.

--
Gregory