harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Supporting more platforms
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 19:03:09 GMT

On 18 May 2007 at 9:58, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the 0x2DA day of Apache Harmony Mark Hindess wrote:
> > I'm looking at what would need to be changed in drlvm to support more
> > platforms.  (Specifically, I'm looking at macosx/ppc32 and I'll probably
> > look at freebsd/x86 and maybe freebsd/x86_64.)  I thought I'd mention
> > some of the issues I've found so far regarding changes I plan to make
> > just to see if I'm taking a reasonable approach.
>
> my 2c:
> may be I am telling very obvious things, but...
>
> ppc32 is a lot of work for JIT. Unless we have dedicated people in
> Jitrino Code Generator for ppc32 a good JIT does not promise to happen
> soon. Although, the interpreter can be ported much faster.

This is a spare time effort on my part so I'm not sure I'll even get
the interpreter ported!  I don't really have any expectations; I'm just
curious how far I can get.  My motivation was really to make it a less
daunting task for others thinking about new platforms.  These days intel
macs are probably more popular anyway but I don't have one - I only got
an old ppc mac on a whim a few weeks ago - and I thought adding a new
architecture would force me to get the necessary build structure in
place.

-Mark.