harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib] hy.no.sig option
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 08:20:32 GMT

For a while now, I've been building classlib with the hy.no.sig option
to avoid the problems of both classlib and the VM trying to install
master signal handlers.  Is it time we made this the default?  Has
anyone else been testing this?

FYI: the easiest way to test it today is just doing:

  echo hy.no.sig=true >>$HOME/.harmony-classlib.properties

Of course, it really shouldn't make any practical difference since the
old classlib signal handler was only invoked in the event of a crash.

I propose we change the default from false to true.  Does this seem
reasonable?  This will mean that no handler will be registered until the
VM is initialized but I don't think this is a significant issue - since
crashes before the VM is initialized should (hopefully) be pretty rare.

Ultimately, I'd like to remove the option altogether since maintaining
duplicate signal handlers doesn't offer any significant benefits.

Regards,
 Mark.