harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM args
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 00:02:21 GMT
On the 0x2E0 day of Apache Harmony Shrinivas Joshi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can someone please point me to a page containing list of supported JVM
> arguments and possibly their description?

I do not remember a page like that. Please, look at the common options
printed by our main binary below. I can make it a wiki page and give
you a link if you want :)

shell> java -help
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
        (to execute a method main() of the class)
    or java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
        (to execute the jar file)

where options include:
    -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
    -cp        <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                  A ':' separated list of directories, jar archives,
                  and zip archives to search for class file
    -D<name>=<value>
                  set a system property
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -version      print product version and exit
    -verbose[:class|:gc|:jni]
                  enable verbose output
    -agentlib:<library name>[=<agent options>]
                  load JVMTI agent library, library name is platform independent
    -agentpath:<library name>[=<agent options]
                  load JVMTI agent library, library name is platform dependent
    -verify
                  do full bytecode verification
    -noverify
                  do no bytecode verification
    -enableassertions[:<package>...|:<class>]
    -ea[:<package>...|:<class>]
                  enable assertions
    -disableassertions[:<package>...|:<class>]
    -da[:<package>...|:<class>]
                  disable assertions
    -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                  enable system assertions
    -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                  disable system assertions
    -? -help      print this help message
    -help properties
                  help on system properties
    -X            print help on non-standard options

shell> java -X
    -Xbootclasspath:<PATH>
              Set bootclasspath to the specified value
    -Xbootclasspath/a:<PATH>
              Append specified directories and files to bootclasspath
    -Xbootclasspath/p:<PATH>
              Prepend specified directories and files to bootclasspath
    -Xjit <JIT options>
              Specify JIT specific options
    -Xms<size>
              Set Java heap size
    -Xmx<size>
              Set maximum Java heap size
    -Xdebug
              Does nothing, this is a compatibility option
    -Xnoagent
              Does nothing, this is a compatibility option
    -Xrun
              Specify debugger agent library
    -Xverbose[:<category>[:<file>]
              Switch logging on [for specified category only
              [and log that category to a file]]
    -Xwarn[:<category>[:<file>]
              Switch verbose logging off [for specified category only
              [and log that category to a file]]
    -Xverboseconf:<file>
              Set up logging via log4cxx configuration file
    -Xverboselog:<file>
              Log verbose output to a file
    -Xverify[:none|all]
              Do full bytecode verification
    -Xinvisible
              Retain invisible annotations at runtime
    -Xfileline
              Add source information to logging messages
    -Xthread
              Add thread id to logging messages
    -Xcategory
              Add category name to logging messages
    -Xtimestamp
              Add timestamp to logging messages
    -Xfunction
              Add function signature to logging messages
    -Xlog[:<category>[:<file>]
              Switch debug logging on [for specified category only
              [and log that category to a file]]
    -Xtrace[:<category>[:<file>]
              Switch trace logging on [for specified category only
              [and log that category to a file]]
    -Xstats:<mask>
              Generates different statistics
    -Xint
              Use interpreter to execute the program
    -Xgc:<gc options>
              Specify gc specific options
    -Xem:<em options>
              Specify em specific options
    -Xdumpstubs
              Writes stubs generated by LIL to disk
    -Xparallel_jit
              Launch compilation in parallel (default)
    -Xno_parallel_jit
              Do not launch compilation in parallel
    -Xdumpfile:<file>
              Specifies a file name for the dump
    -XX:<name>=<value>
              set an internal system property

many tricky options can be given with -XX:name=value, but I cannot
remember how to print them all with descriptions. For example, to see
the JIT tricks you can specify -XX:jit.arg.help=true

--
Egor Pasko