harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JFYI: Dave Gilbert (jfree.org) on Apache Harmony
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:36:10 GMT
10 Apr 2007 17:39:17 +0400, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com>:

> On the 0x2B4 day of Apache Harmony Yang Paulex wrote:
> > 2007/4/10, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Yeah, let's start a branch.
> >

> > So let's heads up a little into a little details :), currently
> in  Harmony
> > svn enhanced directory[1], we have classlib/drlvm/jdktools/others in
> > separated directories, and every directories has a subdirectory trunk,
> the
> > problem now is, do we branch whole enhanced directory[1], or create a
> branch
> > for every modules? I prefer the latter one a little, because: 1. not
> every
> > module needs(or wants) branch; 2. it's convenient for guys only working
> on
> > one area to maintain, for example, it's easier to a classlib contributor
> > follow all classlib changes. I guess that's why the current directory
> > structure looks like.
> >
> > If so, another issue is how to deal with the federate build
> directory[2],
> > which aims at combining all modules as a whole HDK, depending on its
> > build.xml to "svn switch" subdirectory to relevant modules. Now I
> suggest we
> > either create a enhanced/branch/java6 for federate build, or update the
> > build.xml so that some options can be used to specify which branch the
> > federate build will use.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> If we are considering branches for different components, I should say
> that for JIT branching does not make sense. All difference I know of
> related to JIT is disabled subroutines in bytecode, that can be
> triggered with some Verifier's compile-time option.

I was not proposing to branch to such a detail level, IMO it would be
difficult to maintain to create branch for every modules in classlib/vm etc.
My thoughts look like:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/
|__ classlib
     |__trunk
     |__branches
         |__java6
|__drlvm
    |__trunk
    |__branches
         |__java6
|__jdktools
    |__trunk
    |__branches
         |__java6
|__...(other directories)
|__trunk   (federate build for java 5)
|__branches
    |__java6 (federate build for java 6)

And I also suggest, as long as possible, check in updates to Java 5 trunk,
and then merge into Java 6 branch, because, as you said, many improvements
apply to both Java 5 and 6. And in case other components don't have much
difference between Java 6 and 5, we can just create a java6 trunk for
classlib and federate build as pilot at first

In case I am not mistaken in the estimation, we should better support