harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JFYI: Dave Gilbert (jfree.org) on Apache Harmony
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 02:12:27 GMT
2007/4/8, Andrew Zhang <zhanghuangzhu@gmail.com>:

> > Bloggers blog while developers work :)
> >

> > I like we pushed RI to become open source. I like our scores in
> benchmarks
> > and I like our plans on stability improvements for the next quarter.
>

> Ya,  but we need to do something more to prove that  Harmony is not only
> toy.
>
> One thing I agree with the blog is about "branch". We need to think more
> about branch.
>
> It's easy to use branch, but porting back fix and merge sound like
> nightmare
> to me.

It's tedious, but not nightmare :)

Maybe we can define some conventions to follow, for example, all bug fixing,
if applicable to both version, should go to Java 5 branch at first, and is
merge to java 6 branch later; similarly, if for some reason, Java 6 need
some refactory on original code base, we need to think about if it is
possible to refactor on Java 5 code base at first. In one word, try to merge
in single way instead of double way. Basically Java 6 is a superset of Java
5, so hopefully we don't need much things to merge back.

What I really miss is an absence of Geir in our mailing list last weeks...

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development laboratory