harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM] DRLVM default GC was switched from GCv4.1 to GCv5
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:32:49 GMT
2007/4/24, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com>:
> On 4/24/07, Sergey Kuksenko <sergey.kuksenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/24/07, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually there is a JIRA for this submitted by Yunan He. Mikhail has a
> > > quick patch submitted as well, but then we think it might not be very
> > > urgent at the moment since he needs more time to have a good solution
> > > for both 32 and 64 bit platforms. I personally think Mikhail can take
> > > more time for this issue.
> >
> > But, without it we can't run DRLVM in server mode.
> > (yes, we can with manual config manupulation, but it is bad and will
> > confuse
> > others who don't know such details and want to run Harmony DRLVM in sever
> > mode).
> >
> > Standardizing names for all VM helpers is a good idea.
> There are some problems that must be solved before.
> One of the problems is: a conflict between multiple Java implementations of
> a helper. Only one of the implementations must be added to bootstrap
> classpath. Today all of the implementations (both gc_gen and gc_cc jars) are
> in bootstrap. So we need an interface to allow adding custom item into
> bootstrap classpath. After we have it GC can use this API to add its own
> helpers and helpers from different GC can share the same name.

We can just customize emconf properties and their semantics, so that
EM will be more selective depending on which components are loaded at
runtime. Then it is enough to package different impls separately and
tie specific jars to concrete components via emconf.
I don't think more specialized API worths it, moreover GC should not
care which execution engine and which mode is active.