harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linux libstdc++.so.5 dependency
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:33:54 GMT
Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x2C0 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>>> I think this dependency doesn't come inherently from the 3.4 version of
>>> ICU. It comes from the host which was used to compile ICU binaries.
>>> Apparently it had libstdc++.so.5 as default stdc++ library. If ICU was
>>> compiled on a more modern distribution, it would depend on version 6.
>>>
>>> To get rid of this dependency ICU could be linked with libstdc++
>>> statically.
>> Couldn't we also link in a reference to the library unversioned, and
>> pick up whatever the ldconfig has defined?
>
> 1. they are not compatible

Yes I also think that they aren't.

> 2. not only libICU uses libstdc++, DRLVM uses libstdc++-X too, where X
>    is 5 or 6, and the actual number depends on the GCC version, that
>    built DRLVM

Strictly speaking I think it depends on the distribution. GCC version
and libstdc++ version are defined by the distribution and the packaging.
The change from version 5 to 6 happened somewhere between gcc version
3.3.x to version 3.4.x but different distributions chose a different gcc
version to make a change.

> 3. to compile libstdc++ statically for non-x86 (for example, x86_64)
>    we need to compile libstdc++-X.a with -fPIC option by hand (because
>    it is a very rare configuration)

Gentoo has libstdc++_pic.a (e.g.
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libstdc++_pic.a), maybe some
other distros have something similar, but I agree that it is not a rule
to have this static lib compiled with -fpic.

> IMHO, the best way is to go (3) for snapshots and releases to make our
> binaries independant of library version on the target system. But for
> development needs the easiest way is to install both libstdc++-5 and
> libstdc++-6.

I wouldn't want to separate development from snapshots and releases. If
there is no big reason it would be better to use the same environment
for development as the one we use for snapshots.

The problem is that I think we cannot distribute the binaries of it, but
we can download and build it at the build time in a way similar to what
DRLVM does to apr, apr-utils and log4cxx.

--
Gregory