harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JFYI: Dave Gilbert (jfree.org) on Apache Harmony
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 05:01:58 GMT
In my opinion, it is the time for us to catch up with Java 6 in order to
attract our potential customers.

As for branching, almost each apache project maintains branches and they all
live well.:)

And the patch convention, I agree with Paulex that :
1. If a patch can be applied on branch 5, apply it on branch 5.
2. If it cannot, there are two reasons, i think
   (1) new features on Java 6: Just add it on branch 6.
   (2) Conflicting specs or  RI' behaviors between Java 5 and Java 6 : We
need to investigate them whether it is not an expected behavior in java 5 or
just some implementation details. If it is,  modify branch 5. Or else just
apply it on branch 6, which is regarded as an exception. And modify the
testcases if necessary.

Merge branch 5 to branch 6.

Before each patch is applied, run testcases for branch 5 and branch 6 to
avoid regression.

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM