harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexander Kleymenov" <kleyme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [buildtest] Proposal for Build Test Infrastructure Improvement
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:40:27 GMT
Stepan,

> > > What the reason for calling classlib's build in this way? Why we have
> > > to run 'ant.bat' (or 'ant.sh' for Linux) via <exec>?
> >
> > It's workaround for Ant's OutOfMemory problem arising after doing the same
> > by <ant> target. The <ant>-rebuild of classlib project causes big memory
> > leaks somewhere in the Ant and the further BTI execution is impossible
> > becouse of arising OOM.
> >

> As far as I remember the solution was to increase the max memory used
> by Ant with setting ANT_OPTS to "-Xms256M -Xmx512M". Have you tried
> this?

2Gb was not enough.

> > > 3) In exec-adaptor.xml antconrib's wrapper 'trycatch' and 'runtarget'
> > > task are used for calling adaptor's(i.e. suite's) target.
> > >
> > > <trycatch property="execution.exception">
> > >    <try>
> > >        <runtarget target="@{target}"/>
> > >    </try>
> > >    <catch>
> > > Echo error message
> > >    </catch>
> > > </trycatch>
> > >
> > > Again, why it is not possible use <ant> task? And this leads to the
> > > next question.
> >
> > Infra needs some failure processing means here. Default <ant> task does
> > not allow to do it. Using of <runtarget> instead of <ant> saves memory
> > as it does not fork the ant's project.
> >

> What kind of failure processing it does?

Sets up the property, prints trace, and keeps execution going on.

> > > 5) Patching ANT - is there any workaround?
> >
> > It's a workaround itself. For Ant's basedir problem. Ant does not set
> > basedir properly if <ant> task executes the code containing <subant>
> > task. This path is taken from the bug report filed on both versions of
> > ant. Here it's supposed that 1.6.5 version is used. To be more correct
> > here we should check current ant's version and take suitable patch.
> >

> Oops ... does it mean that this workaround binds the infra to selected
> ANT version (in our case 1.6.5)? For example, if I have Ant 1.7
> installed the infra won't work?

Yes, I'm composing TODO list for BTI and it already has this item.

> Also ... I wonder why we haven't meet this issue in classlib or drlvm
> builds yet? It might mean that we use this Ant bug as a feature and
> once Ant get fixed ... need to check classlib and drlvm.

I've executed classlib's and drlvm's build system under patched ant -
everything worked fine. So there are no 'bug as feature' substitution.

> > > 6) And minor question: is there any strong reason for naming build
> > > scripts 'adaptor.xml' not 'build.xml'?
> >
> > I'm positioning the BTI framework not as an Ant-based Build System,
> > but as an Application implemented in Ant Scripting Language.
> > In build systems build.xml is a self-documenting file name.
> > In BTI the name adaptor.xml does the same - it documents itself.
> > I think it would be better to rename root build.xml to buildtest.xml.
>
> Sorry, I didn't catch about proposed infra positioning. Could you clarify?

What exactly needs clarification?

> BTW, if we rename build.xml=>buildtest.xml we have to type each time:
> ant -f buildtest.xml.

The standard usage of BTI supposes launching by means of shell scripts
(buildtest.bat/.sh), not by ant launcher.

Thanks,
Alexander