harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Reminder: stable build goal at end of month
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:14:40 GMT

> In addition to specs and eclipse, there are the tests that come with
> "build test". Are there any more tests we are worried about?

It can be unrelated to JavaOne milestone but we must start thinking that we
are worried about any application written on Java if we want to
annouce 1.5release soon.
I try different 3rd party application daily with Harmony (and gcv4) and have
rather odd results: we run almost everything, but every app I tried
reveals at least one bug/incompatibility that prevents it run on Harmony.
Most of the problems I have are with classlib/VM/JIT but not GC ones. I hope
gcv5 have the same stability level as gcv4.

I understand the risk of switching before an event, but we will have
> to do it at some point. Not much point in writing it and then not
> using it. Doing it still gives us a few weeks before Java One to see
> if there are problems. How about running it as default for a week
> before we decide?

If we have 2-3 weeks I'm +1 to try.
+ We have to update server.emconf in this case.

BTW I remember a proposal to move all GC helpers written in Java with magic
into the same package (i.e. avoid .gc_cc. or .gc_gen. token in the package
name). In this case we can switch GC without additional changes in
server.emconf. Xiao-Feng, what do you think about it?

--
Mikhail Fursov