harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Novodvorsky" <peter.novodvor...@gmail.com>
Subject valgrind usage with harmony vm
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:20:45 GMT
Hi,

I've tried valgrind's memcheck (http://www.valgrind.org/) with harmony
VM and it helped me to find several memory leaks in thread manager
that won't find without it. I thought that it would be useful for
other developers to use it. I used the following options:

valgrind --leak-check=full --leak-resolution=high --show-reachable=yes
--gen-suppressions=all --error-limit=no --trace-children=yes <your
java launcher> <java launcher parameters>

This will also generate suppresion scripts. You can collect them and
create suppresion file that will help to filter out false positive
bugs from valgrind report.

I haven't used thread checker, cache checker and callgrind from
valgrind suite, so if anyone has positive results with it, please
report.

I propose using valgrind in regression tests.

Peter.